Middle Eastern Cauliflower Rice (Hushwee)
Whole30, Paleo, and Gluten Free
Also, Grain Free and Dairy Free
This recipe actually got me a bit emotional. It is rare that a recipe comes together on the first try. This one did. The smells filled my kitchen and when I took that first bite, memories of my Mom and Sittoo (Grandmother) cooking in the kitchen came flooding back. This is a grain free version of a Middle Eastern Hushwee Dish. The only main thing that needed to be switched out was the riced cauliflower in place of real rice. Every Middle Eastern Family will have their own take on this dish. This is the one that is the most similar to the one I grew up on.
- 1 Tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb of grass fed ground beef
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of allspice
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of freshly grated nutmeg
- 16 oz of riced cauliflower
- 16.2 oz container of bone broth (I used chicken bone broth from Kettle&Fire)
- 1/2 cup of shredded chicken (it could be rotisserie; I used Whole30 and Gluten Free Instant Pot Shredded Chicken )
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- In a Dutch Oven or big pot, heat up olive oil.
- Start to brown the ground beef, breaking it up with a rubber spatula.
- When almost fully cooked, use a potato masher to break it up into smaller crumbles. Add salt, pepper, allspice, and cinnamon and mix thoroughly until fully cooked.
- Using a microplane, grate in the fresh nutmeg.
- Add in the riced cauliflower and stir until well incorporated with the meat.
- Add the bone broth and bring up temperature to a boil.
- Cook for 10-12 minutes covered, stirring every few minutes until the liquid has cooked through and evaporated.
- Add in shredded chicken. Fold into the rice mixture.
- In a cast iron skillet or a frying pan, put pine nuts over a medium heat to toast. Stir or shake continuously. The oils of the pine nuts will release immediately upon hitting the heat. You must be vigilant with this because they will burn.
- Serve immediately.