“Creamed” Kale with Bacon and Mushrooms
Whole30, Paleo, And Gluten Free
This recipe literally came to me in a dream (I know, I am weird) and I quickly wrote a few things down on a notepad and went back to sleep. It came to fruition today and was so, so good. If you like creamed spinach and collard greens….this is sort of a fusion between the two.
- avocado cooking spray
- 1 medium onion
- 8 ounces of baby bella mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon of garlic
- 1/2 Tablespoon of kosher salt
- 30 oz of bacon bits (you can certainly use real bacon, I had Hickory Smoked Bacon Bits by Epic that were compliant and used those)
- 1/3 cup of coconut aminos (I use Coconut Secret)
- 2 cups of greens (I used kale but you can also use spinach or collards)
- 1/2 cup of Nutpods
- 1/2 cup of nutritional yeast (I use Bragg’s)
- 1 teaspoon of fresh nutmeg
- Dice onion, garlic, and slice mushrooms.
- In a cast iron skillet, sauté the onions, garlic, and mushrooms until soft using avocado spray.
- Add salt and mix.
- Once cooked, add bacon bits and stir for another two minutes.
- Add mixture to an Instant Pot.
- Add kale and coconut aminos to the Instant Pot.
- Set manual to 5 minutes on high pressure.
- Release steam and immediately add in Nutpods and nutritional yeast stirring well.
- Right before serving, grate fresh nutmeg on greens and stir.
Note: This whole dish could be cooked stove top in a skillet or dutch oven. I wanted to really get the bacon flavors infused so, I used the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker.
Delicious served with Grain Free Breaded Pork Chops