“Cheesesteak” Cauliflower Rice Bowl
Whole30, Paleo, Grain Free, Dairy Free and Gluten Free
I grew up on Philly Cheesesteaks. I have lived many places but, for most of my life have lived near Philadelphia where cheesesteaks are a delicacy! Although, this clearly looks nothing like a cheesesteak, this recipe allowed me the flavors one while staying gluten free and Whole30 compliant. It was delicious!
- 1 pound of grass-fed chopped steak or grass-fed ground beef
- 1 16 oz container of sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 large onion
- 16 oz riced cauliflower
- 1 Tablespoon of ghee
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup of The New Primal Spicy Marinade- you can use any marinade of your choice or make your own.
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup of water
- 2 Tablespoons of nutritional yeast
- your favorite sugar-free ketchup
- optional- marinated onions recipe from @nocrumbsleft
- Melt ghee in a cast iron skillet.
- Slice onions and cook along with mushrooms until translucent.
- Add the cauliflower rice, coconut aminos, and marinade into the skillet and cook for a 5 minutes, just to take away the raw crunch and soften it. This also gives flavors a chance to meld together.
- In a separate bowl, combine the tomato paste, red pepper flakes, dry mustard, apple cider vinegar, salt, pepper, and garlic powder together.
- Stir in the water to this mixture and mix thoroughly until you get a thick sauce like consistency.
- Pour sauce over the cauliflower rice and let it cook down for 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle nutritional yeast and fold in. This gives it a nutty, cheesy taste.
- Serve immediately. Top with your favorite ketchup, onions, or depending on your personal dietary needs cheese.