“Clean” Sloppy Joes
Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free, and Dairy Free
Sloppy Joes. They are reminiscent of growing up. They are reminiscent of school cafeterias everywhere. They are reminiscent of old Adam Sandler songs (I am dating myself with that one). With the weather cooling down and tailgate/football season in full effect, I often make these when expecting people over. They are easy to make, a crowd pleaser, and the sloppy joe mixture freezes well. I sometimes defrost it and put it over zoodles or over cauliflower rice as well.
- 1 lb of grass-fed ground beef (I use 85%-15%)
- 1/2 teaspoon of avocado oil
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 small red pepper
- 1/2 cup of brewed coffee (I often use coffee leftover from the day before)
- 1 cup of ketchup (make sure it is sugar-free and Whole30/Paleo Compliant
- 1/4 cup of dijon mustard (make sure compliant)
- 1/3 cup of coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp of Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 tsp of red pepper flakes
- rolls/buns of choice if not doing Whole30, roasted sweet potato if you are.
- Take the ground beef out of the refrigerator a few minutes before preparing and allow to get to room temperature a bit.
- Put oil in a cast iron skillet. Add onions. and peppers.
- Carefully crumble ground beef into the pan before turning the heat on. You want to try to get it broken down as much as possible before browning.
- Brown the meat on medium heat.
- Once the meat is browned, add in coffee. Scrape the bottom of the pan and sides while stirring in.
- Add in ketchup, mustard, and coconut aminos and turn up the heat.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes. Add in salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Simmer for another 5 minutes until the liquid has evaporated and sauce has thickened.
- Serve over roasted baked potato or on a toasted bun (if not doing Whole30)