Whole 30 Pumpkin Mushroom Soup
Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free, and Dairy Free
I love everything about this soup. It is very reminiscent of one that I ate from a local food specialty store growing up. This one is very easy to make, takes no time at all, and uses all clean ingredients. Total Comfort Food.
- 2 Tablespoons of ghee
- 1 large yellow onion
- 8 oz of sliced Portobello mushrooms
- 4 oz of shiitake mushrooms
- 6 sage leaves (2 left for garnish)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 cup of bone broth or really good chicken stock
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons or arrow-root powder
- 2 cups of organic pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons of curry powder
- 13.5oz can of organic coconut milk (for cooking)
- finishing salt if desired
- Take can of coconut milk and put in the refrigerator for 20 minutes prior to using. This will help the milk solids separate.
- Add ghee to large dutch oven. Put on medium heat until melted.
- Dice the yellow onion. Sauté in the ghee until translucent.
- Add in the mushrooms, 4 sage leaves roughly chopped, the salt and the pepper.
- Cook until caramelized.
- Add in the pumpkin puree and stir to incorporate.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the bone broth and arrow-root powder.
- Turn the heat up and slowly add in the bone broth and arrow-root powder mixture (slurry)
- Bring the soup up to a bubble, it will start to thicken.
- Once it is thick, add in the coconut cream (it should be the top portion inside the can of coconut milk).
- Add in the curry powder.
- Bring the heat down and let the soup simmer for 20 minutes, stirring.
- Serve immediately or freeze. Garnish with sage leaves and finishing salt.