Chicken and “Rice” Salad
Whole30, Paleo, Gluten Free, Grain Free, and Dairy Free
This salad is so basic and delicious. I usually have a bowl of it in my refrigerator at all times. It gets better over time when the flavors have more time to meld together. It is interchangeable. I used vegetables that were abundant and in season for this recipe, but, it certainly could be changed with fall veggies as well. It is delicious and is great to pack for lunches.
- 1 cup of cooked chicken strips or shredded chicken (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 1 cup of riced cauliflower and sweet potato mix (this is found in the freezer section and I defrosted it)
- 1 cup of english cucumber
- 1 cup or Roma tomatoes or the tomato of your choice
- 1/2 cup of red onion
- 6 leaves of fresh basil
- 1/3 cup of avocado oil
- 1/4 cup of red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp of Himalayan Sea Salt
- 1/2 tsp of black pepper
- 1/4 cup of pine nuts
- Dice the tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion into a large dice or bite sized pieces.
- Heat the cauliflower/sweet potato rice blend.
- Add the avocado oil, vinegar, salt and pepper to the cauliflower/sweet potato rice blend. Mix and let the rice absorb a bit.
- Add in the vegetables.
- Take the basil leaves and stack them, rolling them, slide them creating ribbons (chiffonade).
- Add basil to the bowl.
- Toast the pine nuts in cast iron pan on medium heat, until lightly tan. Add to bowl.
- Add chicken in and mix thoroughly.
- This salad can be eaten warm. I usually will refrigerate overnight and let the flavors combine.
Note: If not on any specialty diet, adding feta, or mozzarella is good. Also, I sometimes add black Kalamata olives as well.