Whole30, Paleo, Dairy Free, Grain Free and Gluten Free
This is comfort food for me. My Mom would make the recipe from an old Betty Crocker Cookbook. It has a tomato base unlike many stroganoff recipes. It was my choice for my birthday meal for years. As an adult, I would make it but tweak it with a homemade spicy ketchup. Now that I follow a gluten free diet, I wanted to make an adaptation that would be both gluten free and Whole30. While it does not look exactly like traditional beef stroganoff, it definitely has the flavors.
Ingredients: ( See link to shop for some of the ingredients down below Food Products That I Like )
- 8oz of beef stew meat (I got mine from Butcher Box)
- 16oz container of sliced portobello mushrooms
- 1 medium onion
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of ghee
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 cups of raw cashews
- 13.5 can of organic coconut milk
- 6 Tablespoons of compliant tomato paste (no sugar added)
- 2 Tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup of New Primal Spicy Marinade
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Kosher salt (broken up into 1/2 T increments)
- 1 Tablespoon of black pepper (broken up into 1/2 T increments)
- cauliflower rice, sweet potatoes, or spriralized vegetables to serve on
- Soak cashews in water overnight. Just enough water to cover them.
- When ready to cook, put the cashews in a colander. Rinse with cold water
- Add 1 Tablespoon of ghee to a cast iron skillet, and brown the mushrooms and onions. Remove from heat
- Add 1/2 Tablespoon of ghee to the hot pan and brown the stew meat. I do not full cook this because it will cook completely in the sauce. Season with 1/2 of a Tablespoon of salt and 1/2 of a Tablespoon of pepper.
- Blend together the soaked cashews with 1 can of organic coconut milk (for cooking), and garlic
- Remove browned meat from cast iron skillet. Deglaze the plan with The New Primal Spicy Marinade. Using a wooden spoon, scrape all of the bits from the bottom of the pan while this marinade simmers.
- Add in the coconut aminos, the tomato paste, and the mustard. Add in the remaining 1/2 Tablespoon of salt and 1/2 Tablespoon of pepper. Whisk until it comes up to a simmer
- Add in the mushrooms and onions
- Add in browned meat. Bring the heat down on medium and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally
- Serve over cooked sweet potato, veggie spirals, or cauliflower rice