Sweet and Spicy Chicken Slaw Salad
Whole30, Paleo, and Gluten Free
This salad is a make ahead meal. It literally gets better and better with each day that it sits. The flavors develop more. It uses very basic ingredients along with some meal prep items that I always have on hand. It is delicious and great for anyone looking to pack something balanced and easy for a workday lunch.
- 2 cups of shredded chicken (can be rotisserie chicken or I used my meal prep recipe Whole30 and Gluten Free Instant Pot Shredded Chicken )
- 2 packages of SeaSnax seaweed snacks. I used one package of onion flavor and one package of wasabi
- 1 Tablespoon of grated ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
- 1 Tablespoon of lime zest
- 1 Tablespoon of minced garlic
- 1 medium jalapeño pepper
- 1/3 cup of avocado oil (I use Primal Kitchen)
- 1/2 cup of coconut aminos (I use Coconut Secret)
- 3 Tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce (I use original Cholula which is Whole30 compliant)
- 1 Tablespoon of cilantro
- 4 scallions
- 1 cup of fresh mango
- 1 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 1/2 cup of fresh lime juice
- 1 bag of your favorite slaw mix – Usually these are about 12 oz. I used a mix of cole slaw mix and broccoli/kale slaw mix together
- 1/4 cup of slice toasted almonds
- Mince the garlic and grate the ginger. After mincing the garlic and grating the ginger, I put a bit of kosher salt on it, and use the side of my knife to make each one into an almost paste like consistency. I find it mixes in better. Add into big mixing bowl.
- Zest a lime and put 1 Tablespoon of zest into the mixing bowl.
- Add coconut aminos, hot sauce, avocado oil, red pepper flakes and lime juice into bowl. Mix with a whisk.
- Chop scallions and cilantro. Add into mixing bowl.
- Cut up mango into bite size pieces. Add into mixing bowl.
- Seed the jalapeño pepper. Dice and add into mixing bowl.
- Slice the seasonal into strips and add into mixing bowl
- Add in slaw mix. Using tongs mix thoroughly.
- Add in shredded chicken. Mix with tongs.
- Top with sliced toasted almonds.
Note: You can serve this right away but, it is best to let it sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. This allows the slaw to break down a little bit and the cabbage and kale to wilt.