Whole30 “Chicken Divan” Casserole
Whole30 and Gluten Free
Casseroles were a big part of my upbringing. I think many of us remember eating a lot of them that started from a condensed soup can. This recipe is very reminiscent of a Chicken Divan dish that I ate growing up. Back then, we used to eat it over curried rice. I adapted this recipe so that all ingredients are clean. It also uses some meal prep items that I always have on hand (Instant pot shredded chicken, roasted red peppers, and broccoli). Hopefully, you enjoy it as well.
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews ( I soak them in water either the night before or cover them in hot water for about 45 minutes before they are ready to use)
- 1 13.5 oz can of organic coconut milk
- 1 whole roasted red pepper
- 3 cups of cauliflower rice (I made mine and made it a bit chunkier-you can make yours or buy it, if you buy it frozen make sure you defrost, and drain)
- 8 oz of chicken stock
- 2 cups of Whole30 and Gluten Free Instant Pot Shredded Chicken
- 16oz chopped broccoli (I uses frozen, I defrosted, and squeezed out water with a clean dishtowel.
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of curry powder
- 1 Tablespoon of mustard powder
- 1 Tablespoons of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- Nutritional Yeast to sprinkle over the top
- Combine cashews, coconut milk, and roasted red pepper into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Combine cauliflower rice and chicken stock in a skillet, cook down until al dente, usually about 15 minutes on medium heat until liquid has absorbed and evaporated.
- Transfer cauliflower rice to a 9×13 cooking dish
- Mix spices, salt and pepper together in a bowl. Add in coconut cashew cream and whisk until well incorporated.
- In casserole dish, layer chicken on top of cauliflower rice, and then broccoli.
- Top with the sauce; using a spatula to even it out.
- Sprinkle the casserole with nutritional yeast all over. The amount is at your discretion. This adds flavor, texture, and gives that good brown layer that a casserole should have.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until golden brown.